Monday 30 June 2014

Samba Pale Ale


Yesterday I brewed 21l of Samba Pale Ale. This is a recipe I got from http://maischemalzundmehr.de. It is based on a recipe that came from a german guy living in Brazil. The goal is to brew a light summer beer, which is not too bitter (relatively low IBU) and which has a bit of sweetness left after fermentation. The ingredients are fairly standard to a point (Munich malt, Pilsner malt, Cara Hell) but there is also oat flakes, polenta and corn flakes in the mix - meaning this is not a beer you could say was brewed per the Reinheitsgebot.

I had spectators for the first hour, during the mashing. Wolfi and Edith wanted to have a look at the procedure. The mashing went quite well - mainly due to the recipe's simplicity. Heat water to 68°C and chuck in all the malt in one go. Keep it heating for 90 minutes, then do an iodine test and heat up to 78°C. After 90 minutes, my iodine test was fine, so I heated to 78°C and kept it there for 10 minutes. Then I transferred everything from the Silvercrest to the Läuterbottich.

There were some comments to the recipe which said that Läutern did not go well - probably due to the polenta. I had absolutely no issue with Läutern, however. After about 4l, the wort was clear. It looked a bit watery, but otherwise fine. It tasted very sweet. Läutern took about an hour, after which I had 24l of wort back in the Silvercrest, on top of 17g Amarillo hops. The 24l were at 10.5 brix - which was a bit lower than anticipated, but I did use 15l of water for mashing instead of 13l, and I used about 14l of water for läutern as well, so this was to be expected.

I boiled the hops for 90 minutes, after which I had about 21.5l of wort left. I did add a further 3g of Amarillo hops 10 minutes before I switched the heat off. I then put the lid on the Silvercrest and left it alone for 15 minutes. After the rest period (where convections die down), I did a whirlpool and piped the wort into the fermentation tank. I was surprised that the Trubkegel at the bottom of the Silvercrest was so small. Once in the fermentation tank, I saw I had forgotten to run the wort through the Sputnik filter, so I piped back into my filling bucket. I used the opportunity to cool the wort down to 22°C as well, then I piped it back into the fermentation keg, through the sputnik filter.

Then I added the yeast, which I had rehydrated that morning and put the keg into the guest room, which was about 23°C. This was probably not the best idea - the core temperature of the beer was then about 25°C, which is too high. The yeast can still thrive in it, but at that temperature it will produce too many sweet, fruity aromas. Today (16 hours later), I moved the keg down to the cellar, at about 18°C. Before doing so, I took a sample with the refractometer. The raw reading was 9.8 brix, which - using the Terril formula is:
Scheinbarer Restextrakt: 5.9°Plato
Tatsächlicher Restextrakt: 6.9°Plato
Scheinbarer Endvergärungsgrad: 49%
Tatsächlicher Endvergärungsgrad: 40%
Alkoholgehalt: 2.4 Gew.% bzw. 3 Vol.%

No comments:

Post a Comment